Tornado Recovery Information



Community Distribution Sites

If you need household, personal hygiene, food, or water, the following locations are providing resources to the Sharkey County community:

  • South Delta High School
    303 Parkway Ave.

  • House of Peace Baptist Ministry
    20045 US-61

  • First Baptist of Rolling Fork
    73 N 2nd St.

Recovery Assistance

  • FEMA Disaster Recovery Center, Individual Assistance
    431 W. Race Street
    Hours: Mon.- Fri. 7:00 a.m. -7:00 p.m., Sunday 1:00 p.m.-6:00 p.m.

Representatives are on site from:
MS Department of Employment Services
Long-Term Recovery Committee
Department of Labor and Wages
Cajun Navy

Even if you have homeowners insurance, you may still be able to apply for FEMA assistance. You can also visit, call 800-621-3362, or use the FEMA mobile app. If you receive a denial letter, please follow up! FEMA may need more information from you.

  • SBA Portable Loan Outreach Center
    South Delta High School parking lot
    303 Parkway Ave.
    Hours: Mon.- Fri 7:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m.

If your home or business sustained damage, DO NOT make any demolition decisions until you’ve spoken with FEMA, your insurance company, or both.

Remember to spend your FEMA money wisely. Use the funds received from FEMA for:

  • Home repairs (structure, water, septic, and sewage systems)
  • Rental assistance for a different place to live temporarily
  • Repair or replacement of a damaged primary vehicle
  • Uninsured out-of-pocket medical expenses for an injury caused by the disaster
  • Repair or replacement of occupational specialized tools
  • Essential educational materials (computer, schoolbooks, supplies, etc.)
  • Moving and storage expenses related to the disaster



The Appeal Process
Appeals must be in writing. In a signed, dated letter, explain the reason(s) for the appeal and include:

  • Applicant’s full name
  • Disaster number (DR-4697-MS)
  • Address of the pre-disaster primary residence
  • Your current phone number and address
  • The FEMA application number on all documents

If someone other than an applicant or co-applicant writes the appeal letter, that person must sign it and provide FEMA with a signed statement authorizing the individual to act for the applicant.

Appeals must be postmarked within 60 days of the date noted on the determination letter. Appeal letters and supporting documents may be uploaded to your personal FEMA online account. To set up an account, visit and follow the directions.

Other ways to submit documents include:

  • By mail: FEMA National Processing Service Center, P.O. Box 10055, Hyattsville MD 20782-7055
  • By fax: 800-827-8112 Attention: FEMA

Speak to a Specialist for Appeal Advice

  • FEMA Helpline: For more information on your case, please call the FEMA Helpline at 1-800-621-3362. Lines are open from 6 a.m. to midnight CT, seven days a week. Help is available in multiple languages. If you use a relay service, such as video relay (VRS), captioned telephone or other service, give FEMA the number for that service.


Mississippi State Department of Health - Multi-Agency Coordination Center
19881 Highway 61 South

Representatives on site to provide:
Tdap (Tetanus Shot) 04/10 – 04/16
Birth Certificate 04/10, 04/11, 04/13 – 04/15
Driver’s License 04/15

Temporary Lodging

Mississippi Emergency Management Agency is entering into an agreement with the American Red Cross to assist in temporarily lodging displaced residents from the March 24, 2023, deadly tornadoes. Under this agreement, the American Red Cross will place eligible disaster survivors into hotel or motel rooms and provide meals for those individuals and families for up to six months based on need.

To qualify for this program, survivors must register first with FEMA at or call 800-621-3362.

Displaced storm survivors who need temporary lodging under this program should call: 1-800-RedCross. (1-800-733-2767).

Disaster SNAP

The window to apply for the Disaster Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (D-SNAP) is CLOSED.

Hygiene Stations

Five comfort facilities are available throughout Sharkey County to help meet your hygiene needs.

  • South Delta High School
    303 Parkway Street
  • Deer Creek Baptist Church
    82 4th Street

  • MLK and Mulberry Street

  • City Park Ballpark
    Maple Street and Hwy. 61

  • Rolling Fork Civic Center (former Armory)
    19719 US-61


When possible, officials request that you use non-city water system utilities. If you can, please use community-provided water services (laundry, showers, and restrooms).


Government Facilities


While several government offices in Sharkey County remain closed due to significant building damages, some have temporarily reopened to serve our community.

  • Sharkey County Courthouse: Sharkey County Chancery/Circuit Court Offices and Sharkey County Justice/Sanitation Offices' is now operating out of a temporary facility.
  • Tax Assessors’ Office: TEMPORARILY CLOSED until safe ingress and egress can be established.
  • Rolling Fork City Hall: Operating out of Rolling Fork Civic Center (former Armory), 19719 US-61.
  • Issaquena/ Sharkey Library: Closed due to damages.
  • Issaquena/ Sharkey Health Department: Open for operation.
  • Rolling Fork Police Department: Office is TEMPORARILY CLOSED.
  • Rolling Fork Public Works: Office is TEMPORARILY CLOSED due to significant damage.
  • City Recreation Center: TEMPORARILY CLOSED due to significant damage.
  • Rolling Fork Volunteer Fire Department: Operating out of a temporary facility.
  • US Post Office: Functioning, and we are working on an improved temporary solution.
  • South Delta Schools: The South Delta School District has established back-to-school reopening plans with a soft start for all K-12 students on April 14, at the South Delta Middle School in Anguilla.
    All faculty and staff will be housed at South Delta Middle School. All safety checks and repairs are completed at the operating site.
    School start time for all students will be 7:40 a.m., and dismissal time will be 3:15 p.m. Students do not have to wear school uniforms.
    Transportation will be provided for bus riders. All students will be picked up at the original bus stops and any stops where students are standing. Routes will be updated as needed. Students who live in Anguilla will walk to school or have parents or guardians bring them.

Volunteers and Donations


  • Sharkey County Volunteer Response Center
    323 Maple Street
    8:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. daily

Volunteers need to check in and will receive their assignments at this location. For additional information about volunteering, visit:

Donate Disaster Supplies

Donate disaster supplies to:

  • South Delta High School
    303 Parkway Ave.

  • South Delta Middle School (Collecting School Supplies)
    86 Middle School St. 
    Anguilla, MS

Donate Funds

The Community Foundation of Washing County maintains the South Delta Disaster Recovery Fund to assist disaster victims. 

Send donations to P.O. BOX 5910, Greenville, MS 38704, or visit to learn more.

Donate Meals
If you would like to donate meals to the Sharkey County community, please fill out the following form:

Frequently Asked Questions

Is there a curfew in place?
Yes, for the safety of our community, the Sharkey County Sheriff's Office has issued a daily curfew from 8:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m.

Is Sharkey County under a boil water notice?
Yes, there is a boil water notice in effect. See the Safety Information below for information on staying safe.

Does Sharkey County have a burn ban in place?
Yes, there is a local burn ban in effect until further notice. Recreational burning is not permitted.

Where can I seek medical care? 
A temporary field hospital is fully operational at the Rolling Fork Civic Center (former Armory) at 19719 US-61. The hospital is currently accepting patients 24 hours a day. 

There are also three clinics open to serve the community:

  • Complete Care
    25 S 4th Street
  • Sharkey Issaquena Medical Clinic
    283 Race Street
  • Pain Treatment Centers of America and Family Medicine
    29 S 4th Street
  • Delta Health Center
    20400 Hwy. 61

Are volunteers providing assistance with clean-up activities?
Yes, if you need assistance with debris removal, tarping, or heavy equipment, volunteers are available to assist you. Visit the Disaster Recovery Center at 431 W. Race St. to sign up.

When is trash being picked up?
The Sanitation Department lost one of its vehicles in the storm. Therefore, trash pick-up may be delayed. Pick-up will continue on your regularly scheduled day. If you lost your can due to the storm, please place trash in plastic bags as best you can and place them on the curb. For garbage can replacement, please text Bill Newsom (662-907-1498) the name and address on the sanitation account. 

Safety Information

Boil Water Advisory

  • Use bottled water for drinking and to prepare and cook food.
  • If boiling water for use, bring water to a FULL ROLLING BOIL for 1 MINUTE, then allow the water to COOL BEFORE USE. 
  • Boil tap water even if filtered (for example, by a home water filter or a pitcher that filters water).
  • Do not use water from any appliance connected to your water line, such as ice and water from a refrigerator.
  • Be careful not to swallow any water when bathing or showering.
  • Use caution when bathing babies and young children. Consider giving them a sponge bath to reduce the chance of them swallowing water.

Clean Up Safety 

As you go about cleaning up your property and home, please ensure to stay safe:

  • Watch for fallen power lines, broken gas lines and report them to the utility company immediately.
  • Do not operate any machinery that you are not qualified to operate.
  • Due to the warm temperatures today, ensure you hydrate and take frequent breaks.
  • If you sustain any injuries, seek medical guidance.
  • Watch children around debris and trash.
  • Wear proper protective gear at all times. 

Demolition Safety

Before you demolish any structure, ensure you have shut off all utilities to the building.

  • City of Rolling Fork (water services)
  • Entergy (energy services)
  • Atmos (gas services)

Sharkey County Emergency Management and the Mississippi State Board of Contractors wants to remind all contractors and homeowners to call 811 before they dig. Mississippi 811 offers contractors, builders, and private citizens utility line location. Before beginning any work that would require you to dig, you must contact 811 to ensure the safety of your project. This service is free and required by law.

Avoiding Scams and Fraud

Disaster survivors should be aware that con artists and criminals may try to obtain money or steal personal information through fraud or identity theft after a disaster. In some cases, thieves try to apply for FEMA assistance using names, addresses, and Social Security numbers they have stolen from survivors. If a FEMA Inspector comes to your home and you did not submit a FEMA application, your information may have been used without your knowledge to create a FEMA application. If so, please inform the inspector that you did not apply for FEMA assistance so they can submit a request to stop further processing of the application.

FEMA Disaster Survivor Assistance teams, housing inspectors, and other officials will be working in areas impacted by the March tornadoes in Mississippi. They carry official identification badges with photo IDs. FEMA and U.S. Small Business Administration representatives never charge applicants for disaster assistance, inspections or help in filling out applications.

  • Don’t believe anyone who promises a disaster grant in return for payment.
  • Be wary of unexpected phone calls or visits to your home from people claiming to be FEMA housing inspectors or people claiming they work for FEMA. FEMA representatives will have your FEMA application number.
  • Don’t give your banking information to a person claiming to be a FEMA housing inspector. FEMA inspectors are never authorized to collect your personal financial information.
  • If you believe you are the victim of a scam, report it immediately to law enforcement authorities.
  • If you suspect fraudulent activity involving FEMA, you can report it to the FEMA Fraud Branch at, fax: (202) 212-4926 or write to: FEMA Fraud and Internal Investigation Division, 400 C Street SW Mail Stop 3005, Washington, DC 20472-3005. If you suspect identity theft, please visit

If you believe you are the victim of a scam, report it immediately to law enforcement authorities.

Beware of unlicensed contractors lacking the proper credentials who may do more harm than good. Warning signs to look out for include:

  • Individuals soliciting door-to-door who are unable to provide any identifying information about their business.
  • Requesting payment in full in advance of any work being completed.
  • Requesting payment be made to an individual and not to a business.
  • Salesmen who utilize high-pressure sales tactics, such as saying prices are only good for today and urging you to make a decision without doing any research.
  • Refusing to provide a contract or any documentation in writing

Visit for information from the Mississippi State Board of Contractors.


Helpful Phone Numbers

  • Sharkey County EOC: 662-527-2160
  • Debris Removal Hotline: 662-331-9068
  • FEMA Assistance: 800-621-3362
  • Sharkey County Sheriff's Office (non-emergency): 662-873-4321
  • Red Cross: 1-800-RED-CROSS

Helpful Links

Transportation Assistance

  • Bolivar County Council on Aging Inc.
    (662) 846-6161
    Open Daily
    4:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
  • Mississippi Christian Family Services
    (662) 527-2160
    Monday-Friday 7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

Important Dates

Capital Disaster Loan: May 1, 2023
SBA Physical Property Loan: May 25, 2023
Economic Injury Application Deadline: December 26, 2023
FEMA Application Deadline: May 25, 2023
IRS Filing Deadline (STORM VICTIMS ONLY): July 31, 2023